Subject: msa: Sufism & Tassawuf --- Sheikh Muhammad S.Adly
<Message Length: 96 lines>
Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah
ASSALLAM-O-ALAIKUM WA RAHMATULLAH WA BARAKATUH, Sheikh Muhammad S. Adly is the current Imam and Director of the Islamic Center and Masjid Al-Mumeniin in Columbia South Carolina. He has vast experience in Da'waa and has a great depth of knowledge of Islam. He was a teacher in the Masjid Al-Haraam in Mecca (the Ka'ba) and also the Chairman of Muslim World League (rabta-e-alam-e-islami). He has studied under many great sheikhs in Mecca, and also from Al-Azhar University in Cairo. He has been involved in Da'waa around the world, in many countries. For the past 19 years he has been in America, and has headed many Islamic Centers throughout the East-coast of America, and has also been active in the prisons. After reading the many articles posted on this net in regards to Tassawuf and Sufism, by Sheikh Hisham Kabbani, here is the response of Sheikh Muhammad S. Adly in regards to this topic:
Assalamu alaikum, ya ikhwanul muslemeen,
Through Br. Jawad on MSAnet I have read the articles in regards to Sufism and Tassawuf and others also. For the sake of those muslims, who are new and don't know about these concepts and practices, I means these concepts are known to you, but not to new Muslims means you can give these concepts to present them, so in order to present true idea from Qur'an and Sunnah you can present or we will. We would just like to reply to those articles, by asking the following questions:
1. What is Tassawuf? Please give a detailed definition and explanation of the meaning of this terminology and the word itself?
2. Are there any *dhaleels* (proofs & evidences) from the Quran in regards to Tasawwauf? If there are, then please state them expilicitly?
3. Are there any *dhaleels* (proofs & evidences) from the Ahadeeths of our Prophet (saw) on Tassawuf and its practices? If there are, then please verify their authenticity and state them explicitly?
4. Was our Prophet(saw) a Sufi? If yes, then please give vivid evidences from the Quran and the Sunnah only?
5. Did the Prophet(saw) practice Sufism or Tassawuf? If yes, then please give evidences from the Quran and Sunnah only?
6. Did the Prophet(saw) tell/order or even recommend this, meaning Sufism and Tassawuf? If yes, then please give us evidences from the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet(saw) only?
As muslims, we understand that the Prophet(saw) told us in his farewell Khutba, that " I am leaving with you two things. Book of Allah, Quran, and my Sunnah. Whosoever will stick to these two firmly will be guided."
Therefore, my dear respected brother, I also request you that in your replies to my questions, please give me only evidences from these two sources, in order that we be guided, and not what some sheikh says, or what some country's practices are, or what some groups practice, or what some sheikhs fatwa says.
Inshallah, my dear respected brother, I look forward to your reply, and my criterion in regards to Islam and the Ibaadaat, has always been that I go by the Quran and the Sunnah. If it says in the Quran and the Sunnah, do such and such, then I shall do it, otherwise we should refrain from all types of innovations (bid'aah) in our pure deen.
Jazakum Allah Khair ya akhi, was-salamu alaikum.
All responses should be directed to Sheikh Adly (thru this account), and not to the account holder, as I am merely posting his responses only.
Was-salam, yours in Islam.
DEPT. of CHEMISTRY/PHYSICAL SCIENCES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND AT COLLEGE PARK